We have been advised that a scam is circulating in our region.
Fake invoice scams happen when fraudsters send an invoice or bill to a company, requesting payment for goods or services.
The invoice might say that the due date for the payment has passed, or threaten that non-payment will affect credit rating.
In fact, the invoice is fake and is for goods and services that haven’t been ordered or received.
Fake payment details are included on the invoice for payment to be made direct to the scammers account.
Always make payment for invoices through your online accounts or ensure that the payment details match those previously used.
If fraud has been committed, report it to Action Fraud
If you are contacted by a cold caller over the telephone or on your doorstep, please consider these points:
• Do I really need the work/equipment being offered, if I haven’t already asked for a quote?
• Will the person provide a written contract/quote?
• Have I obtained other quotes to ensure the price being quoted is reasonable?
• Have I obtained any references for this company or checked them on companies house to see if they are a registered company?
• Have I checked to see if they are qualified to carry out the work ie Gas Safe registered engineer?
If you are unsure of the company/person do not enter into or sign any agreement.
If a person refuses to leave your property, this is an offence and you should ring Tel: 101 to ask for assistance.
To check if a company is registered and legal visit the website:
Lincolnshire Safer Communities Trading Standards.
For advice please call 03454 04 05 06.
Trading Standards nationally has an agreement with Citizens Advice Consumer Service to help you report a problem or obtain free, confidential and impartial advice and guidance on consumer issues.
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm (excluding bank holidays and public holidays)
Visit the website:
Gas Safe Register
To report scams and Internet security issues.
Ring 0300 123 2040
or visit the website: