Over the weekend we have had 2 theft of purses from handbags on the Swanspool ward. The first was on London Road on Saturday and the second was on Sunday on Oxford Street. Both offences took place in large superstores. Please report any suspicious circumstances in stores to store security/staff or contact police on 101 (emergency 999).
Crowds, noise, aching feet and demanding children can all make shopping stressful. But whatever’s going on around you, be sure to stay alert – opportunist thieves are always on the prowl. Please follow the below advice when shopping:
- Never leave your bag unattended in shopping trolleys or baskets, pushchairs or mobility scooters.
- While walking about, keep your bag close to your body and closed at all times. Choose one with zip fastenings and keep your valuable items well hidden inside, out of easy reach of pickpockets. Keep the bag closed/zipped up.
- Bells can be attached to your purse that will jingle to alert you if someone takes it out of your bag. You can buy them online quite cheaply, just search for ‘purse bells’.
- Keep the amount of valuables in your bag to a minimum – avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- In restaurants and cafes put your bag on your lap or on the floor between your feet with your foot on the strap. Alternatively place the strap through one leg of the chair.
- Be mindful of distractions, thieves working in pairs may attempt to divert your attention in order to steal your handbag or its contents.
If your purse is stolen, please ensure you contact you bank as soon as possible to cancel your bank cards.