As your local Naboughood police Team, we would like to just remind all residents to stay alert to the dangers of "Telephone Scams"
• You provide your account details and answers to security questions to fraudsters
• Your bank account is emptied and/or cards used to their limit
• You could become a victim of identity theft because you have revealed confidential financial and personal information
How to Avoid Telephone Banking Fraud
• A bank or payment card company will never ask you to transfer money out of your account to another that you do not recognise, so hang up immediately.
• If you do think that the call may be authentic and you choose to call your bank or card issuer, call the number on your bank statement or other document from your bank – or on the back of your card, and NOT a number given to you by the caller or the one you were called from.
• Never provide financial or personal details to a caller, but call back on a number you know to be authentic. Many scammers have the ability to spoof authentic numbers to fool you into thinking that they are genuine.
If You Have Been a Victim of Telephone Banking Fraud
• Report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud reporting centre by calling 0300 123 20 40 or by visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk