Font Size A A A

New Scam emerging in your area

Alert message sent 15/06/2016 08:17:00

Information sent on behalf of Hampshire Constabulary

A new fraud has come to the attention of the police in Hampshire, with the ruse of an angry HMRC representative demanding monies for an unpaid tax bill. They are intimidating, threatening and many people have understandably been left feeling upset and worried. Quite often they will demand that the victim buys iTunes vouchers to re pay, or they may use different tactics similar to courier fraud where the victim has to withdraw cash or hand over their card. Another take is to transfer money into a fake bank account, where it is never seen again.
People are reminded to protect themselves using the following advice:

• Never give out any personal information about your bank account to anybody over the phone, the police and any other professional organisation such as HMRC, banks etc. will NEVER EVER ask you for these types of details.

• If the caller asks you to ring them back so you can be sure of their identification, hang up and call the company they are claiming to be from using a different phone. If you can’t use a different phone, wait at least five minutes before calling back.
• If you have given out information which could compromise your bank account security in any way, call your bank up to cancel your cards as soon as possible.
• Never hand over money to someone at the door to be sent off elsewhere.

• If someone comes to your door claiming to be from a company or organisation, always ask for identification and make a note of their identification number. Ask them to wait while you verify their identity. Close the door, find the number of the company they claim to be from a phone book or your own directory, and call the company to verify their ID.

Consider using the Priority Services Register to set up a password for callers from utility companies. Contact your supplier to talk about this simple process, and its free.

Anyone who is concerned about similar incidents should contact police by calling 101. If a crime is in progress, please call 999.

Message sent by
Kieren Rogers (Police, PCSO, East Hampshire District)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.